As of the 1st of January 2016 important changes to lipectomy items numbers will apply. The changes include a wide range of item numbers but the most common procedures it will affect are –
- Abdominoplasty and mini- abdominoplasty
- Body lift
- Thigh lift
- Arm Reduction
- Buttock Lift
Essentially to meet the criteria for these item numbers now a patient needs to meet certain criteria –
Must not be purely cosmetic
- Fungal skin infection or other condition for at least 3 months
- Redundant skin interferes with activities of daily living
- Stable weight of 6 months
- Had significant weight loss = reduction of BMI by 5.
(For an average height female of 164 cm or 5’4” this means a weight reduction from 93kg to 80 kg)
If you don’t meet this strict criteria you will not be eligible for a medicare item number and therefore won’t be covered for private insurance.